Bossier City, LA — When Betty Jean Jurls smelled smoke in her Bossier City home this morning before 5am, she immediately woke her husband who went to grab their ten dogs. Sadly, the fire had progressed to far, and it was all Danny Jurls could do to escape the burning house himself.
When officials got to the home on Parkway Drive, it took them just about 20 minutes to get the blaze under control, but by then the damage had been done and 9 of the dogs died in the fire. Fire fighters believe that the fire was cause by a space heater placed too close to furniture, and think the fire started in the room where the dogs were kept.
While the Jurls family did lose 9 of their dogs, there is a bit of a silver lining. One of the dogs and several cats were able to survive the fire.
Although they're lost and distraught right now, the family knows that they'll be ok.