Louisiana (KMSS) — Forecasters with Weather Services International released their first predictions for the 2013 hurricane season estimating 16 named storms, nine hurricanes, and five category 3 or higher intense hurricanes.
According to the Louisiana Department of Revenue, the following items may be purchased in Louisiana tax-free on May 25 and 26:
• portable self-powered light source
• portable self-powered radio, two-way radio, or weather band radio
• tarpaulin or other flexible waterproof sheeting
• ground anchor systems or tie-down kit
• gas or diesel fuel tank
• package of AAA-cell, AA-cell, C-cell, D-cell, 6 volt or 9-volt batteries, excluding automobile and boat batteries
• cell phone battery and any cell phone charger
• non-electric food storage cooler
• portable generator used to provide light or communications or preserve food in the event of a power outage
• storm shutter device (defined as materials and products manufactured, rated, and marketed specifically for the purposes of preventing window damage from storms)
• carbon monoxide detector
• blue ice products
The tax free event will run from Saturday morning until the end of the day on Sunday.
The event is only state tax free; shoppers will still be responsible for paying the parish taxes.