Shreveport, La — The Krewe of Highland’s Mardi Gras Parade is all set to roll out at 2:00 p.m. Sunday, February 10, 2012 and the Shreveport Police Department would like to take this opportunity to pass on a friendly reminder to parade-goers regarding some ground rules that are in place to ensure everyone has a fun, safe Mardi Gras experience.
Police will close Gladstone Boulevard from Line Avenue to Creswell Avenue beginning at 8:00 a.m. Sunday morning and it will remain closed until the parade is finished.
At approximately 1:00 p.m., officers will close all intersecting streets between Kings Highway and Herndon Street and Creswell Avenue and Centenary Boulevard. Officers will be assigned to monitor those intersections and will allow residents ingress and egress to their homes as needed. Authorities will open up those intersections as soon as the parade passes and it is safe to do so.
The floats will leave their staging at the Brookshire’s District Offices located at 4019 Fern Avenue next door to El Chico’s restaurant at 2:00 p.m. From there, the parade will head North on Gilbert Drive turning east onto Gladstone Boulevard. The parade will then head north on Creswell Avenue to Herndon Street where the procession will turn east and continue on to Highland Avenue. Once at Highland Avenue, the revelers will turn south bound until they reach Olive Street and will proceed east on Olive Street and then continue south on Centenary Boulevard until they arrive at Gladstone at Gilbert Drive.
* Don’t leave children unattended! Make plans to meet up at a particular location in case children become separated from guardians during the parade.
* Do not fight or struggle over beads.
* Keep a safe distance from the floats.
* Keep valuables at home, and make sure cars are securely locked.
* Don’t take purses or wallets to parades. Keep money and I.D. in pants pockets.
* Obey all traffic signs and directions from officers.
* No animals are allowed within 200 yards of the parade route, except animals that are in secured yards of residents living along the parade route and service animals.
* Use common sense and treat others like you would want to be treated!!!!!