Woman finds frog in her can of green beans
St. Joseph County, IN (CNN) — An Indiana woman bought a can of green beans on sale for 69 cents. And what she found inside will keep her and her family from ever eating canned green beans again.
Gloria Chubb's family eats a lot of green beans but she was disgusted by what she served up at the dinner table for her and her son.
Chubb's planned to cook meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, and green beans that night but what was in the can of green beans is what made both her and her son lose their appetite.
"My son put some on his plate and said, 'What is that?' I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something. Because they have bacon in them sometimes," said Chubb. "I had it in my hand because I was trying to figure out what it was. And I took it out of there and it wasn't moldy bacon. It was a toad with parts of his little legs all in the green beans, other than that he was fully intact."
Chubb called the health department because she wanted to warn others who may be in a rush preparing dinner like she was that day. She didn't see the frog until after she had cooked the beans in the microwave.
That made her sick and she decided that she wasn't going to be having any green beans any time soon.
Gloria Chubb took all of her unopened cans back to the company and they gave her a refund. She took the frog and the can to the health department.
The Food Service Director at St. Joseph County Health Department said that the next step was to send the toad and can down to the Indiana State Department of Health. That's where they will do an investigation on the product.
It was concluded that the toad was processed along with the food at the canning plant in Wisconsin.
"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during the process."
"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process. I don't know how they didn't see it, I wonder if it's the only one."
The consumer specialist who had put the report together in Indiana said that it isn't likely. He says the factory canning is a fast paced business sometimes moving 300 cans through per minute.
Last week Chubb got an apology letter from the canning company along with $50.
Chubb thinks that they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables.
"I mean anything can happen you know but a whole frog?" said Chubb.
The Indiana Department of Health says that the most common rodent or insect found in canned vegetables are toads, mice, and grass hoppers.